Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Review: Darkness Becomes Her By Kelly Keaton




Darkness Becomes Her by Kelly Keaton
God & Monsters Series (#1)
Young Adult
288 Pages (Hardcover)
Published by Simon Pulse
(February 22, 2011)
ISBN: 9781442409248





From Goodreads:
Ari can’t help feeling lost and alone. With teal eyes and freakish silver hair that can’t be changed or destroyed, Ari has always stood out. And after growing up in foster care, she longs for some understanding of where she came from and who she is.
Her search for answers uncovers just one message from her long dead mother: Run. Ari can sense that someone, or something, is getting closer than they should. But it’s impossible to protect herself when she doesn’t know what she’s running from or why she is being pursued.
She knows only one thing: she must return to her birthplace of New 2, the lush rebuilt city of New Orleans. Upon arriving, she discovers that New 2 is very...different. Here, Ari is seemingly normal. But every creature she encounters, no matter how deadly or horrifying, is afraid of her.
Ari won’t stop until she knows why. But some truths are too haunting, too terrifying, to ever be revealed.



My thoughts:

Yesterday I finished Darkness Becomes Her by Kelly Keaton, and I was really surprised because I wasn't expecting  to read what I read. The synopsis didn't give me any clue what this book was about, and I was all the time with my mouth open saying "OMG". And I don't know yet if I liked it. This book was a big mix of some fantastic creatures. The only one that was missing this time was the werewolf. Keaton didn't invite them to the party… so sorry to those who like wolves. (Maybe next book ?) 

Ok, back to businesses. Like I was saying this book was kind of strange. The plot started in a very mysterious way (Too quickly, perhaps… you don't have too much introduction), and continued in that way until the end. What I mean is that you don't know what is happening until the last few pages, something that kept me motivated to continue reading, but at the same time made me a little bit frustrated because sometimes I didn't see any development on the story. Even though, I really enjoyed the book, (The main idea was different from another books, and kept me on the edge of my seat…) there were a few things I didn't like at all. 

First, the characters weren't so well defined, so if you are looking something more realistic, maybe you should skip this book. Even Ari wasn't credible at all. I couldn't find any information about her or her life before the story. She was created for the story. Also the "evil character" wasn't so "bad". (I didn't find any good reason for being like that… he/she was bad… because that was his/her job… to get mad and to be a…B….) 

Other thing I didn't like about this book, is the romance… Wait a minute!… It's not a romance. Definitively not romance. They meet… and the next hour they are making out… C'mon!  What is that!!!?? There weren't any nice feeling, no glances… Nothing!

So, what can I say… This book is a big mix… so if you don't like different species in the same book….  If you like more romance… like Twilight, or If you like real characters… skip it. But if you like some mystery, voodoo things, and gothic and creepy stories… and different stuff…. you should give it a try. Maybe it will surprise you.




My Rating:

I Like it / A Good Time-killer



Trailer:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! I really appreciate it!